The History of Teabo UMC|
Teabo Church was
established in 1870 by Welsh and Cornish miners from
England who were brought to the United States as
immigrants to labor in the mines.
Long before 1870, and long before there was a
church building, these men and women formed
themselves into Methodist classes and worshipped as
they had in England, meeting in their homes.
Owners of the mines granted plots of ground to
the miners’ religious societies and built local
churches. Area business persons of the time donated
organs, pews, and all that was needed for the
interior. For the miners, the church was a place of
peace, freedom from the everyday stress of mining, a
time of fellowship with one another, and a place for
spiritual growth and renewal.
Today, 140 years later, Teabo remains a place of
respite from day-to-day stress, an opportunity to
renew and grow in the Spirit of our Lord and Savior,
Jesus Christ, through our worship services, and a
welcoming place for fellowship with one another.